I know I’ve been silent for the last couple of weeks. Stress had me out of it for the week before last, and then this past week, while the stress is under better control, it was just a very busy week. That’s not to say that nothing has been happening at the house; lots has! Let’s talk counter tops first, then the walls above them (and elsewhere).
We’ll start with the master bath. Wherever there were windows, I had a hard time getting a shot that wasn’t half washed out by reflected glare. This was the one shot here that worked.
Unfortunately, the shots in the laundry didn’t come out so well. This is the best one.
I really wanted this green stone to go in the guest bath. Edith said when she was laying out the templates at the stone cutter, she couldn’t get a layout that would achieve that, so unfortunately, this is what we got.
I don’t think that half-blue, half-green thing is going to work. We’re trying to make it better with the backsplash tile. More on that later.
Finally, here’s the powder bath.
The blue works well with the floor. We’ll see how well the cream and green work with the tile covering the wall.
So, speaking of tile on the walls, tile-setter extraordinaire Kurtis is back, executing the designs Edith came up with.
This is the shower in the master bath. That thing sticking out of the wall is the control for the water. The shower head will actually be on the wall to the right (out of the picture). This way I can reach in and turn on the water without having to duck out of the way of the spurt of cold water that will come out first.
The shower/tub in the guest bath has a similar design but with a different pattern of small tiles.
Above the counter top, however, our attempt so far to use the small tiles to improve the transition between the green and the blue haven’t succeeded.
Kurtis tried putting more of the blue tiles into the mix but so far it isn’t working. Not sure what we’re going to do about that. This could end up being one major disappointment with the house.
That was the status on the inside as of Friday. Outside, however, there’s still a little work to be done. The short walls on the front of the house are supposed to have a rounded stucco cap on their tops, but builder Bill has been concerned about water penetrating the stucco, grout, and CMU block, and then leaching out through the decorative stone (which isn’t real, solid stone). So for weeks the tops have remained unfinished, like this.
But on Friday, one of the guys was putting on a sealant that we think will do the trick.
Once that stuff dries–and in the heat we’ve been having, it should be plenty dry by now!–the stucco guys will come back and build the caps.
There’s been some other interior work done too. Mose the electrician was back putting in the surround-sound speakers in the ceiling.
(Here he’s adjusting the size of one of the holes.) So when he was down off the ladder to talk with Bill, I thought I’d take advantage of the new viewpoint to get a different look at the floor.
This coming week, the big push will be to get more of the tile work done in the bathrooms and kitchens. Kurtis and I made some grout color selections but there are still others to be made. The toilets and more of the lighting will go in, the bamboo flooring in the master and “German” bedrooms will go down, and I think this is the week when the metal slats over the south patio will go up too.
There are a few appliances still to go in, a lot of touch-up painting to be done, the floor in the office to be laid and the office cabinets and bookcases to be finished, and various and sundry other details to finalize. Bill is confident we’ll have everything all wrapped up next month, which is good because I need to get the mortgage that will replace the construction loan in place soon too!